Looking for a Driving School in Pittsburgh?
Cindy Cohen School of Driving, Pittsburgh focuses on educating student drivers both with theory and behind the wheel practice.
Our Services/What we teach
- Behind the wheel lessons – One on one with Pennsylvania approved road instructors (through the Department of Education in Pa.)
- Pennsylvania Road Test – Use our vehicle for the road test
- Adult/Teen “brush up lessons” – For licensed drivers, advanced lessons, city driving, freeway driving, parkway driving, easy method parallel parking, reverse gear, adverse conditions (rain, sleet, hail, snow) etc.
- Mock Test Lesson – Step by step instruction to meet the requirements by the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles, in preparation for your Pennsylvania
- Driver’s License Exam. (Click link above to schedule PA Driver’s License test)
- Fleet Drivers brush up lesson – For companies who hire sedan drivers/small vans, etc.
- Online Theory Class (below)
- Driver’s Education classroom theory (check website for new courses) – Open to the public, classes will be held at Winchester Thurston
Online Theory Class – Why teenagers should take our 30-hour online theory class
- Obtain a regular driving license at the age of 17.5
- To receive a discount on auto insurance, available through insurance companies (check with your insurance provider to see if you qualify)
- Insurance discount may be valid for up to five years
- Theory class will be completed in the classroom
- Online theory can assist in obtaining a learner’s permit
- Click here to get started.
Student’s age 15 ½+ can take advantage of the convenience of this Driver’s Ed Classroom Theory Program at WT’s City Campus. Start the school year off right as you prepare yourself for your upcoming driver’s test. Whether in the classroom or on the road, young drivers will benefit from thorough training. And parents may even enjoy a discount on insurance as a result – an amazing return on your investment!
Here is what we will cover in the classroom theory portion of your training:
- Passive restraint systems, air bags, and anti-lock braking systems
- Occupant Kinematics (the science of crash testing)
- Reaction distance, braking distance, and total stopping distance
- Effects of natural forces on a car in motion, including centripetal force, centrifugal force, and friction
- Study of the Implied Consent Laws, Driving Under the Influence (DUI) penalties, Blood Alcohol Content, etc.
- “Driver’s License Compact” (DLC)-used to exchange information concerning license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents and forward them to the state where they are licensed
- Highway signage, road signs, pavement markings, etc.
- Interpretation and application
- Construction zones
- The Pennsylvania point system, point distribution, and removal
- Graduated licensing and pedestrian safety, such as the right-of-way of pedestrians in crosswalks
- Discussion of taking the permit test and road test
- Introduction of “House Bill 10” in Pennsylvania and what it means to teen population in PA
- Reactions to funerals, emergency vehicles, and railroad crossings
The 30-hour Theory course is required along with six hours of Behind-the-Wheel instruction for the benefit of insurance reduction. To participate in the Classroom Theory course, the student does not have to be 16 years of age and does not have to have a Learner’s Permit. Once the student is 16 years of age and obtains a PA Learner’s Permit he or she may call to schedule the six hours of on-the-road driving instruction (given in four 90-minute appointments to total six hours).
**Combined program includes insurance certificate